OKLAHOMA STATE SUGAR ART SHOW
RIVER SPIRIT EXPO BUILDING
September 28 & 29, 2013, with competitor setup September 27
Saturday hours, 10:00 a.m. till 11:00 p.m.
Sunday hours, 10:00 a.m. till 6:00 p.m.
Sweeten September 2013 and visit the Oklahoma State Sugar Art Show where the Kings and Queens of Cake will present magical sugar theater. A magnificent display of wedding cakes will take pride of place in the creative arts location of the River Spirit Expo Building (same building as last year … the name of the building has changed).
At 4:00 p.m. on Friday, September 27, competitors will trickle in one by one and register their entries, moving their precious cake cargoes onto the exhibition floor (NOT ready for public viewing yet).
It is a mad flurry of cakes arriving and registration, until finally the public unveiling at 10:00 a.m. on Saturday, September 28.
New and unique designs are unpacked for the first time. These showpieces have artwork that may have taken weeks or months to make. Tables are draped and pinned, nervous competitors sweat, and cakes are eventually satisfactorily positioned at the ready to enchant the viewing public September 28 and 29, 2013.
Heading into 2013, competitors are already lining up to register their preferred themes. They are determined to figure out the formula that will give them the extra edge that will aid in designing the winning cake. I know we will see the most amazing drop-dead gorgeous cakes ever.
Enjoy hundreds of spectacular award-winning cakes in the bustling fun-filled atmosphere of the Tulsa State Fair. With stunning table settings and sublime designs, you are assured of a visual feast. See the quality and style of the nation’s premier cake designers as they stir up a glorious menu of bespoke wedding cakes. Never has the immaculate construction of an edible flower been so vital, the addition of a sugar streamer so nerve wracking, or the stacking of carefully constructed tiers so vital. Strolling through this labyrinth of edible art, visitors can soak up a quintessential experience: the ultimate inspiration for consumers to simply muse and marvel or create the cake of their dreams. Beautifully presented, there is something for everyone, young or old. The OKLAHOMA STATE SUGAR ART SHOW sets the standard like no other.
Cake aficionados travel thousands of miles to be a part of this iconic exhibition. It would be fair to say that competitors credit success at this event to be a key that opens doors to television possibilities, presenting, teaching and other exciting avenues that involve the sugar arts.
Stay in our room blocks – everyone is welcome. What better way to relax after a busy day at the show than by staying at our host hotels, The Doubletree Warren Place or The Wyndham Tulsa? Choose reservations from a lovely portfolio of rooms that have been set aside exclusively for us. Excellent value and good quality accommodations are available to competitors and visitors alike – click Accommodations to facilitate the process. Mention “Oklahoma Sugar Artists” to access the show price of $75 for Doubletree 1- 4 in a room, and $78 plus breakfast at The Wyndham Tulsa. 1- 4 in a room with fully cooked breakfast.
My sponsors are such an important and integral part of this success, and I thank them all most sincerely for their fabulous support and for being an important part of my dream. This event amplifies opportunities to support and promote sponsors’ products and showcasing their latest lines, also reinforcing those that are time-tested and keeping eyes on the lookout for the new and original. Creative and clever competitors innovate challenging showstoppers that in turn inspire the collective imagination of receptive manufacturers.
CAKE SECURITY is a key issue when cakes are on display. Recently we had some inexcusable damage to some of the entries at the 2012 show. It is apparent that artists are frozen in place rather than reacting. Direction given to me by Tulsa State Fair Management (who were extremely angry over this act of vandalism) is: Competitors should all be their own watch dogs and if anyone is seen touching, damaging or stealing property then first yell out loud and clear to bring public attention to the perpetrators. Immediately inform roaming security volunteers who will know what to do next to ALERT Fair personnel, there is a complete security department at the Fair but neither they nor the volunteers have eyes in the back of their heads. Be aware be on guard!
Join us for the companion competition for a full program of exceptional divisions displaying celebration and special occasion cakes, memorable techniques and creative innovation threaded throughout the exhibit. Be inspired; celebrate the cake, compete, share, be educated. Competitors don’t have to compete in the wedding cake competition if they don’t want to or do not qualify; the wedding cake competition is only open to contestants’ semiprofessional and above. As indicated in the rules, there are two distinct shows under the one umbrella – read both sets for additional information.
1. No commercial flowers may be used on any competition piece – automatic point deduction.
2. No non-edible jewelry – automatic point deduction.
3. No cake parts or cakes from PREVIOUS wedding cake competition may be reentered in the companion event the following year.
4. Competitors who have either won or placed (Grand, First, Second or Third) in the Wedding Cake Competition will automatically be considered MASTER level decorators.
5. WEDDING COMPETITION exhibits may not have been in competition before or have been seen at the ICES convention. The work must be new and fresh and we hope will express new techniques and invention. If a cake is discovered to be a redo or decorative elements are used from a previous competition showpiece, that entry will be disqualified. If contestants have an issue with reconstructed entry, it is too late to report the matter once the show is over. The show director needs to be told of the issue immediately and the complainant needs to be very sure of their ground. Do not accuse unless you can prove.
6. Responsibility: Contestants must double check that all ingredients used to decorate the cakes are acceptable under the USA FDA food and health requirements. No powdered plastic or glass products can ever be used on the cake surface or decorations on a cake. Please bring documentation or contact the Show Director ahead of time to check if there is a question about any product application. Check the ingredient list on the containers.
7. Visitors, brides, sugar artists/cake decorators, food service professionals and the general public are welcome to attend the daily fair. General admission is all that is necessary to participate at the sugar art show. The demonstration seating is first come first served.
8. If you enter the show and for whatever reason end up not producing a competition piece or are late and miss the setup deadline in whatever division or category that you have anticipated entering, you will automatically be disqualified from participating and no ribbon or prize will be awarded.
9. Do not use a glue gun under any circumstances; it is toxic and it is NOT edible.
10. Ornaments and metal fittings covered with icing must not be used.
11. Cake boards must be iced or decorated and edged with accenting or contrasting tape or ribbon. No exposed florist foil, please!
12. Please check to see that cakes are level and stacked evenly; use a spirit level and stand back to view to be accurate. Quite a few entries were off-center in 2011 and 2012; photographs clearly show the discrepancy. Check your professional picture if you had one taken.
13. Photographic sitting will include postage. $42 per sitting + $6.50 for the postage and insurance equal a total of $48.50. Too many portraits are not being claimed or picked up.
14. This year the baked competition (Cake Pops!) will require decoration as well as baking skill.
15. Entry fees are not transferable or refundable for any reason.
16. Bird feathers of any kind ARE BANNED!
17. Disco Dust may only be used on removable decorative items.
Presentations and demonstrations are free to all. They will be conducted this year by our Amazing Bronwen Web and the Immaculate Julia Usher. The price of admission to this icon event at $10 is minimal; all visitors can access the show, the exhibition and world class demonstrations for this tiny cost.
After the 2013 competition concludes, artists can attend a hands-on class with the inimitable Bronwen Weber. This is the cheapest class on the planet: $250 for two days and will be held at The Doubletree Hotel host hotel. Students are assigned class positions on a first come, first served basis so don’t delay.
This class will be very popular – download the Oklahoma State Sugar Art Show (OSSAS) entry form for registration signup and send ASAP to Loydene Barrett.
Sponsored by Ceri DD Griffiths Ceri. Dz Artistry & Design Ltd.
1st $100 + Border Inspirations 1 & 2 by Ceri. Dz.
2nd $60.00 + Border Inspirations 1 & 2 by Ceri. Dz.
3rd $40 + Border Inspirations 1 & 2 by Ceri. Dz.
Our past achievements are unprecedented and this event that has become a passion in my life has taken on a life of its own. Come be a part of it.
Loydene Barrett has made many selfless contributions for the success of this event, even denying her personal artistic direction for the best interest of others. It must be mentioned that her professionalism and devotion to the show often goes above and beyond on so many occasions and she unselfishly puts the aspirations of others before her own.
Grace McMillan, ever gracious, produces and updates our stunning website each year, which reaches millions worldwide. We are very grateful for her expertise and professionalism.
I will be your personal guide for all aspects of the sugar art show. Please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions you might have.